We ask that you please submit only once per reading period a single file (.doc or .docx) to one category according to the specific instructions below.
We are looking for work that has not been previously published. We encourage and allow simultaneous submissions, but please let us know immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere so we may remove you from our submissions list.
Due to Submittable limits, we are only able to offer a limited number of no-cost submissions each month. If there is no option to submit at no-cost please check back at the beginning of the next month! We are always able to take TIP JAR submissions of which one hundred percent of all proceeds assist to cover our production costs.
Upon acceptance, Dovecote Magazine will claim first electronic rights, perpetual non-exclusive electronic rights (so we may display your work on our website indefinitely) as well as first North American publishing rights. All other rights revert to the author upon publication.
Please credit Dovecote Magazine as the first publisher if you reprint elsewhere.
Poetry Review Guidelines
We are excited to announce Dovecote is now publishing reviews of recent, in-print collections of poetry. If you would like to send us a review for potential publication please follow these guidelines:
- The review must be concerning either a chapbook or full-length collection of poetry
- The book must have been released within the last 18 months and be currently available for purchase
- We want reviews to contain about 500-1000 words, but won’t be sticklers for length
- We desire reviews to be a process of translation in which a reader engages with the work and creates a response in their own voice
To submit a review please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject REVIEW SUBMISSION [your name as printed] [title of reviewed work] Please provide your review as an attached, single .docx file. In addition please provide the following information in the body of your email:
- Your name as printed
- Title and author of reviewed work
- Publisher and date of publication of reviewed work
- Link to publisher’s sale listing
- Short, humble bio for yourself tailored to reviewing others’ work
Email submissions for reviews are open unless noted otherwise.